Friday, August 24, 2012

Catholics and Politics, is a “Progressive Catholic” a Contradiction?



I recently read an article provided by a Father James Curran (via my cousin). It was written by Andrew Sullivan titled “The Republican Party Cardinal.”


http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/08/the-republican-cardinal.html



The import of the passage was to criticize the decision of Cardinal Archbishop Dolan, from New York, to give the benediction at the Republican National Convention. Traditionally, this job has been given to the local Bishop (whoever that is). Sullivan argues that for Archbishop Dolan to honor the request appears as “de facto endorsement” by the Catholic Church of the Republican Party. He warns that the Catholic hierarchy injecting itself into politics is a mandate to other Catholics to support the Romney ticket.

I had so many reactions to this article, where to begin….

I generally don’t concern myself with issues pertaining to the Catholic Church, because although my parents attempted to raise me Catholic, it didn’t stick. When I was 13, they threw up their hands and gave up trying to force me, or any of my siblings to go to church. There were six of us and today, only one considers herself a practicing Catholic. Oh well.

I have many problems with the church (too many to go into in a blog) but I can narrow it down to: 1) That nasty business with priests and altar boys and how it was handled, 2) Its stance on abortion, 3) Its stance on gay marriage, 4) Its stance on stem cell research and quite frankly, 5) The Biblical miracles just don’t work for me…..

Although I don’t support the Catholic Church, I support its right to exist and to believe what it believes. I have deep respect to the fine work it does on behalf of the poor and indigent. I acknowledge the comfort and community it provides and the church and I can agree to disagree. I have been fortunate to have known several members of the church and have respected their intellect and compassion.

Although they all share a common faith, they are not cookie cutter stamp-outs, all come with their own, unique personalities and perspectives. I respect that individuality and I respect the right of members to do and say what they feel appropriate. So if Archbishop Dolan wants to go pray for the Republicans, I say, “Go for it!” If Father Andrew Sullivan wants to post an article condemning Archbishop Dolan, I say, “Go for it!”

My point is, if one has the right to criticize, then the other has a right to pray for the republicans. Free speech works both ways and last I checked, priests, bishops, archbishops, nuns etc. are still citizens and do have the right to free speech, right? They vote, right? Their votes are still private, right? If CEO’s can come out in support of either party, why can’t an Archbishop (although he hasn’t, he just agreed to say a prayer for them because that’s what Archbishops do)?

OK, really. Is ANYONE surprised that the Catholic Church sides with the Republican Party? Anyone? Speak up. Please, this is not an unexpected news flash, or frankly, an earth-shattering event. I admit that there are a number of practicing Catholics, priests included, that don’t share 100% of what the Pope dishes out. They call themselves “Progressive Catholics.” That’s fine, although this article made me wonder if that isn’t a contradiction?

E J Dionne, author of “Why Americans Hate Politics” and on staff at The Dept. of Government at Georgetown University, says,

[The] “Catholic Church’s teachings do not map well, or at all, with the particular way in which American partisan positions have developed…”

Dionne accused bishops of being too cozy and criticizes them for engaging directly in politics. However, he signed a letter on behalf of ninety Georgetown faculty members approving the Bishop’s response to criticism of aspects of Paul Ryan’s budget. Hmmmm.

Hey, wait a minute, by signing that letter, isn’t he engaging directly in politics? Huh (as I scratch my head)….

OK clearly, this letter is partisan. No biggy as I see it, he has every right to do it, except then, bishops have every right to call things as they see it as well. What’s good for the goose…..tit for tat, turn about is fair play…you see where I’m going, free speech and all…

“Progressive Catholics” is a term used by many practicing Catholics to describe their brand of Catholicism. It is a way to express their differences they have with the church. The very issues above I also expressed (which, is why I am not a Catholic). I get where they are coming from, and except for their shared belief in the Catholic Church, I am right there with them, they are my brothers and sisters, hallelujah! Only problem is (and it’s a biggy) is that it doesn’t pass the “Catholic test” or, to translate, the Pope begs to differ.

GK Chesterton describes Catholicism this way:
“Catholicism is an accumulation of tradition including a magisterium that does not waver from the fundamental truth as divulged in the teachings and life of Jesus.”

OK, I admit, I had to look up “magisterium.” It looked like a cool word that I could use another time to impress people. Sadly, I doubt I will ever use it again. It means the teaching authority of the Catholic Church, and yikes, that sounds very serious and Pope-like. But it does kind of lay out what I have always felt about the church - I don’t think you can pick and choose; it’s an all or nothing package. It is what it is, and you can like it or leave it, just don’t expect it to change.

Chesterton also suggests “to import the political term [Progressive Catholic] for the description of Catholics is to collapse the Church into a political program that cannot be reconciled to the Catholic worldview.”

Wow. I’ll sum it up (because that’s what you do at the end).

If an Archbishop wants to appear at the Republican Convention, I think he should. Yes, it looks like an endorsement, but so what? Who is really surprised by that? Does that mean the religious hierarchy has to follow his lead? Nope, they get to make their own decisions and if they want to test the political waters, be my guest. But I also think that if you call yourself a Catholic, you are a Catholic. You don’t get to choose your own brand of Catholicism. Agree to disagree, sure, but the term “Progressive Catholic” seems to be a contradiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment