Wednesday, March 4, 2015





The F Word(s)



I have learned. After LAST winter, I have experience. I know how to survive (and I know the correct prayers for no snow).

To survive winter, the key is in the F word or words….Fleece, Flannel and Fire.

Fleece – I bought a Fleece jacket at the U of Michigan M Den. I was cheap, so I bought it from the boys’ section. One of the benefits of being a short person, is that I can buy products from the boys’ section for much less money. In the winter, I wear this jacket about 80% of my waking hours. I confess, I have two jackets, both equally warm, but one has bright yellow shoulders and is a bit flashy. I wear it only while in Michigan or on game days, cuz, well it is game day so people here need to deal.

Flannel – A few years ago, I made myself some flannel PJ’s, not the granny style, but the kind with a top, jacket style, and a separate bottom. Folks, these are warm, warm warm, and the beauty of it is you wear a tank underneath so it is comfortable while sleeping, just ditch the jacket.  I go from my fleece, to my workout, then to my flannel PJ’s. Very Minnesotan.

Fire – Best home improvement we ever did was to install a gas fireplace. I love wood burning fires, but I am terrified (and would worry endlessly) of a creosote fire happening from the buildup and I am not a fan of cleaning out the c*$p in a fireplace, not to mention the mess, and the smoke, and the danger. With the gas, you just turn it on and get warm. Did I mention the remote control?

As winter is finally loosening its grip on us, and spring is within reach (a possible 50 by next week), I realize that I haven’t complained once about this winter. I have survived nicely, the anti-snow prayers have been most effective, and I have found the F words get the job done.  As spring approaches, here is what I am most looking forward to:

Sunsets that you can actually watch and savor

Sleeping with the windows open

Long days and nights

Bonfires

Biking, oh, I have missed biking

Eating outside at restaurants

The sounds of children playing in the neighborhood (and even the fights, I like those very much)

The sounds of birds, owls, squirrels running through the woods, coyotes (when they're nice, and not  chewing cats), and the odd ramblings of wild turkeys

Color in the landscape, especially green (have you ever noticed that in winter on cloudy days, there is no color outside? Everything is gray, a little brown and white)

Lilacs

The first dandelion (makes me giddy, for real)

The smell of cut grass

Getting a new dog (I sure miss Claudia; this will be the first spring without her)

Thunderstorms

Activity on the lake involving boats and swimming and not shacks (good grief)

Margaritas and Gin and Tonics

Planting and smelling dirt

Talking to neighbors for longer than a quick wave and a hello

Grilling

Baseball games

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment